New Species Alert!
Here’s a riddle for you: What walks on six legs but has an extra pair of extendable legs that stretch to check surroundings and hunt prey?
Well, eight new species of arachnids that feature “a pair of elongated whiplike legs that are actually sophisticated environment sensors” were recently discovered. The article on LiveScience details the decisions behind the classification of these new species and the environmental impacts affecting their habitats.
Andy Comins, photographer of Scientist in the Field book Stronger Than Steel: Spider Silk DNA and the Quest for Better Bulletproof Vests, Sutures, and Parachute Rope by Bridget Heos, is no stranger to arachnids and commented on the new species’ striking looks: “Extraordinary beauty is everywhere. We just need to open our eyes and appreciate it.”
To see pictures of these incredible creatures for yourself and to read more about them, make sure to check out the article from LiveScience here.
by Lily Kessinger
- Follow Along As We Storm Chase In Tornado Alley
- Is It Tornado Season Where You Live?
- Ultima Journey Update
- Fall 2018 Osprey Update!
- All Hands on Deck to Support the Southern Residents
- Ospreys in Missoula: Spring 2018 Update
- SLJ Interview Gives Readers a Behind the Scenes Look
- Crows Aren’t the Only Smart Birds in Town
- Big News for Scientist in the Field Scott Dowd
- NEW RESOURCE FOR STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING